Saturday, April 5, 2014

Robert Frost

Introduction

     Robert Frost has created many of America's famous poems. Born in March 26, 1874, in San Francisco, California to a journalist, he quickly grew up. When his father died, his mother decided to move across the country to Lawrence, Massachusetts. When Frost graduated from high school, he decided to grow up in the city. When he married his wife, Elinor Miriam White, he started producing the famous poems we now know him for. His first poem, "My Butterfly. An Elegy" was worth $15($409 today)! But how does Frost write these magnificent and inspiring poems. Well, he gets his ideas from his association with rural life. Since he worked on a farm for nine years, he knows everything about how rural life is, how it looks like, how it smells, and what it feels like living there. He is mainly inspired by this and writes his poems based on the rural life he once lived on. Did you know that Robert Frost attended Harvard University, but left voluntarily due to an illness? In fact, when he proposed Elinor, she said no because she wanted to finish college.

His Poems


A Question

A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth. 

Robert Frost


This was a brilliant poem by Robert Frost called "A Question." I think the theme of the poem is that you will always have questions, and you should never stop wondering. This poem stuck out to me and I chose it because this poem describes me. I am a boy who always has questions, and I am always curious. I relate to this poem because I have experienced the feeling of always having endless questions, and I want answers right away. I always have the feeling of having so many questions just stuck in head, roaming around. I believe that the poet was a happy and curious person as well, like me. I think this because he is writing a poem on a question, so he is probably just writing his question onto a sheet of paper in the form of a poem.


Why Are His Poems So Good?


What makes Frost's poems so good? Well, in my opinion, I think it is the way he writes them. In the poem "A Question" there are many essential parts that make his poem so good. Rhyme scheme is one of the essential parts that he includes in his poem. His rhyme scheme is ABAB. This is because stars in the first line and scars in the third line rhyme. And earth in the second line and birth in the fourth line rhyme. But how do these affect the poem. Well, it makes the poem more interesting and it adds a little bit of variety to the poem. If this was just a regular poem, then the rhyme scheme wouldn't have made a difference, and it would just be a regular paragraph, no variety or anything.

A Question and Comment


Try to find other poems with ABAB rhyme schemes by Robert Frost. Here are some links:
www.poemhunter.com/robert-frost/poems/‎
www.poetryfoundation.org

What do these poems mean to you? How do you relate to them?








No comments:

Post a Comment